Whether as a large-scale battery storage system or in combination with small photovoltaic (PV) installations: Energy storage systems are becoming more and more flexible. As the range of functions grows – for both mobile and stationary systems – so too does their versatility. The panel of judges for the ees AWARD has selected particularly ground-breaking products and solutions for the shortlist of the renowned industry prize.
The winners will be announced and prizes awarded at ees Europe, the continent’s largest and most-visited exhibition for batteries and energy storage systems, at The smarter E Forum in hall B2, booth B2.570 on June 20, 2018.
In recent years, the importance of the energy storage industry has grown considerably. In the future, it will be imperative to integrate batteries and storage systems into the energy supply chain if we are to use renewable energies effectively.
Digitalization concepts or intelligent networks and distribution are impossible without efficient storage technologies. For this reason, the ees AWARD has been recognizing particularly innovative and pioneering products and solutions for the energy storage industry since 2014. Selected by a distinguished panel of judges, the winners reflect the industry trends with their products and solution and set the course for the years ahead.
The winners of the ees AWARD also benefit from the exposure this brings. Any company presenting its projects and products at one of the global Intersolar, ees, Power2Drive or EM-Power events in 2018 is eligible to participate, as are partners of the exhibiting companies.
The trends in the energy storage industry last year saw the megawatt capacity mark being exceeded, and 2018 will build on this: Large-scale storage systems have been adapted to better meet the requirements of renewable energies in the power plant sector, bringing with them a wide range of functions for grid integration. These range from reductions in the connected load, the ability to perform black starts, emergency power operation and uninterruptible power supply, to microgrid formation and active and reactive power control as well as frequency control.
- Alpha ESS Europe GmbH (Germany): Storion Series SMILE5, a lithium-ion complete storage system, operates as a DC-coupled storage system for new PV installations and as an AC-coupled system for existing PV installations or as a back-up system. The silent, passively cooled system has a service life of 20 years and over 6,000 cycles. It fulfils the new requirements for grid integration, is certified to IP65 for outdoor applications and can be monitored using an app.
- BYD Company Limited (China): Currently in the development stages, the outdoor system BYD Modular Outdoor ESS uses LFP batteries and an intelligent battery management system. The system is certified to IP55 and is well suited for outdoor use at temperatures ranging from -20 to +55°C and humidity of up to 95%. The capacity of this modular system is in the MWh range. It is suitable for industrial operation thanks to a SCADA communication system. It comprises battery units of 238 kWh and battery inverters with 800 kVA which are assembled in a modular design.
- Dynapower Company LLC (USA): As a scalable unit with a capacity of 375 kW, the DCto-DC converter DPS-375 is able to smooth peaks in demand (peak shaving) or constrict upper limits (ramp rate) in solar power plants. The converter makes it possible to connect battery storage systems on the direct current side of the PV generator to a wide input voltage range from 550 V to 1,000 V using DC-coupling. With an efficiency rating of 98.2%, and thanks to the lack of transformers and inverters, it is more cost-efficient than AC-coupled battery storage solutions.
- E3/DC GmbH (Germany): The DC-coupled Li-Ion storage system S10 Pro 912 for solar power storage with low voltage batteries (48 V) was developed for 3-phase grid-connected use and an uninterruptible emergency power supply. With its extremely high solar efficiency and charging power of 12 kW, the efficient storage system is designed for coupling to electric car charging stations as well as heat pumps.
- SMA Solar Technology AG (Germany): Thanks to its high input voltage range, the innovative, grid-forming Sunny Central Storage battery inverter is compatible with a wide range of batteries and integrates up to 100% of the renewable energy generated into standalone grids. The robustly designed medium-voltage stand-alone inverter in the megawatt class is able to perform black starts and is equipped with a SCADA-based communication system. It can offset fluctuations in the generation of renewable energies and provides a wide range of grid services.
- SOCOMEC (France): Together with the accompanying battery units, the SUNSYS PCS² IM bidirectional battery inverters are a grid-forming Microgrid Energy Storage Solution, able to perform black starts and operate extremely efficiently, even in low output ranges. The storage systems are scalable from 33 kVA to the multi-MVA range and are well suited for setting up microgrids with a large share of renewable energy.
- SOLAR ECLIPSE BY P800 SRL (Italy): The Solar Eclipse integrates battery storage systems into any PV installation. Operating as a generator-coupled system located upstream from the existing PV inverter, it is able to integrate a wide range of battery types (lithiumion, sodium-ion, lead). It can easily be installed in existing systems.
- TESVOLT GmbH (Germany): The storage system TS HV Battery features extremely highquality cells and is scalable from 67 kWh into the MWh range. The efficient system is easy to install, with modules which auto-configure.
- VoltStorage GmbH (Germany): The compact redox flow battery system VoltStorage Home Battery with an integrated inverter was designed for domestic use. The system is installed without electrolyte, thereby guaranteeing an easy assembly, and is designed to ensure maintenance-free operation and a service life lasting over 10,000 cycles. The fully automated manufacturing of the built-in stack combines high product quality with an attractive price for the entire system.
ees Europe and the parallel events will take place from June 20–22, 2018 under the umbrella of The smarter E at Messe München.