Powerwall is a home battery from Tesla Motors that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers homes in the evening. It also fortifies the home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup.
The average home uses more electricity in the morning and evening than during the day when solar energy is plentiful. Without a home battery, excess solar energy is often sold to the power company and purchased back in the evening. This mismatch adds demand on power plants and increases carbon emissions. Powerwall bridges this gap between renewable energy supply and demand by making solar energy available it’s needed.
Avoid paying peak rates
Power companies often charge a higher price for electricity during peak evening hours than overnight when demand is low. Powerwall can reduce power bills by storing electricity when rates are low and powering homes when rates are high.
Powerwall automatically switches to battery power in the event of an electric company outage, bringing peace of mind to those who live in areas prone to storms or unreliable utility grids.
Current generation home batteries are bulky, expensive to install and expensive to maintain. In contrast, Powerwall’s lithium ion battery inherits Tesla’s proven automotive battery technology to power homes safely and economically. Completely automated, it installs easily and requires no maintenance.
Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.
- Technology: Wall mounted, rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control
- Models:10 kWh $3,500 For backup applications; 7 kWh $3,000 For daily cycle applications
- Warranty:Ten year warranty with an optional ten year extension
- Efficiency: 92% round-trip DC efficiency
- Power: 2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
- Voltage: 350 – 450 volts
- Current: 5 amp nominal, 8.5 amp peak output
- Compatibility: Single phase and three phase utility grid compatible
- Operating Temperature: -4°F to 110°F / -20°C to 43°C
- Enclosure: Rated for indoor and outdoor installation
- Installation: Requires installation by a trained electrician. AC-DC inverter not included.
- Weight: 220 lbs / 100 kg
- Dimensions: 130 cm x 86 cm x 18 cm
- Certifications: UL listed
Powerwall begins shipping this summer and requires installation by a trained electrician.
Tesla Energy allows businesses to reduce peak demand charges, shift energy consumption profiles, and participate in available grid markets. For utilities, Tesla Energy solutions are turn-key, fully integrated systems, designed for long life and to serve a wide array of applications, including peaker replacement/capacity provision, T&D deferral, system firming, and other market participation.