For the first time, the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Design Challenge recognized and awarded two Grand Winners – one from the residential division and one from the commercial building division. The 2020 Design Challenge culminated in a virtual event, April 17-19, 2020.
Students from 45 teams, representing 31 collegiate institutions, competed for the top prizes. A detailed list of the winners is below. Congratulations to all the teams!
- Commercial, University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)
- Residential, Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
Suburban single-family division
- First-place, Monash University (Melbourne, Australia)
- Second-place, Universidad Tecnológica Indoamérica (Quito, Ecuador)
- Honorable Mention, The Pennsylvania State University (Centre County, Pennsylvania)
Urban single-family division
- First-place, The University of British Columbia (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Second-place, University of California Los Angeles (Los Angeles, California)
- Honorable Mention, Ball State University (Muncie, Indiana)
Attached housing division
- First-place, Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
- Second-place, Southeast University (Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China)
- Honorable Mention, Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Mixed-use multifamily division
- First-place, The University of Arizona (Tucson, Arizona)
- Second-place, Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Honorable Mention, Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, Illinois)
- Honorable Mention, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (Syracuse, New York) and Syracuse University (Syracuse, New York)
Elementary school division
- First-place, University of Oregon (Eugene, Oregon)
- Second-place, Purdue University (West Lafayette, Indiana)
- Honorable Mention, The University of Arizona (Tucson, Arizona)
Office building division
- First-place, Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, Illinois)
- Second-place, Ryerson University (Toronto, Ontario)
- Honorable Mention, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Blacksburg, Virginia)
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon is a collegiate competition that challenges student teams to design and build highly efficient and innovative buildings powered by renewable energy. The winners will be those teams that best blend architectural and engineering excellence with innovation, market potential, building efficiency, and smart energy production.
The Solar Decathlon continues to “push the envelope” on the design of the most highly performing, efficient, affordable, innovative buildings. The competition leverages opportunities to showcase student innovation and STEM education, and it fosters workforce development opportunities.
Learn more about the Solar Decathlon competition.
Photo caption: The team from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, was the Grand Winner in the Residential Division of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Design Challenge, held April 17-19, 2020. Illustration credit: Miami University team.